Friday, July 10, 2015

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

Title: Ink and Bone



Author: Rachel Caine



Information on series: Book 1 of the Great Library series



Audience: Classified as young adult but will likely appeal to upper teens and adults



Rating (scale of 1-5, with 5 being highest): 4



TL;DR: With a tagline of “Knowledge is power” what bookworm could resist this book?



Longer review: I’ve been a fan of this author for many years having read at least 2 of her previous series (both young adult and adult). I was very excited to hear this book announced. As a librarian I am a sucker for any library related book. I tried desperately to end my hands on an advanced copy but never did. I had to wait until release day like everyone else. I started reading it the instant I opened it. I normally have trouble reading books that have a male protagonist but I really liked Jess. I think this book would appeal to boys and girls. There's a great cast of characters. Almost anyone can find one to relate to. This book was hard to put down.  At the same time I would make myself put it down because it contained so much information I had to allow my brain time to let all the information sink in. This book really makes you think what the world would be like if the great library of Alexandria had survived. Also gives a whole new meaning to librarianship. Non-librarians may not find that as humorous as I did. How far would you go to save books? I'd like to take the test and see if I'd be a librarian in their world. Some appeal factors are the alternative history and dystopian elements. I do have to warn you it ends on a cliffhanger. Book 1 just released this week so it’ll be awhile before book 2 comes out.





Read alikes:



Book Thief by Markus Zusak



Inkworld series by Cornelia Funke


Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling 


Review by Jenny Ellis 

No comments:

Post a Comment